Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Why Wouldn't You Get Married in Switzerland??

Little did I know three years ago as I attended a weekly Bachelor/Bachelorette watching girls night group that I would meet a friend, Amanda, whom I would later have the opportunity to watch walk down the aisle... Four thousand miles away in beautiful Zürich, Switzerland.


It's not a secret that Switzerland is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Anyone who has been there or seen pictures can attest to the raw splendor of the snow-capped Swiss Alps, the lush green countryside and don't get me started on the crystal-clear lakes laden with swans. These reasons alone make it an easy sell for any destination wedding seekers.

However, couple that with family ties {Amanda's mothers' family is from Switzerland} and it's a no-brainer! Obviously, the question becomes why wouldn't you get married in Switzerland?!


Have you ever been to a hotel that doesn't allow cars? As in you have to park at the bottom of the mountain, hike part of the way {with luggage in hand because the path is gravel}, board a train which departs every 30-minutes to take you most of the way up and lastly hike another 15 minutes before ever checking in. No valet. No door-to-door golf carts.

Americans think this sounds crazy, right? I kept thinking as we were going up the mountain: 1) I shouldn't have packed so much 2) I'm glad I do Crossfit 3) I hope I have enough time to shower before dinner 4) Please don't make me do this in heels.

I must say this view from our room made the unexpected hike worth it! We stayed at the Uto Kulm Hotel located on the Uetliberg Mountain Top and location of the wedding reception and where the majority of the guests were also staying.
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .

After a quick shower {yay!} we were dressed and ready to go back down the mountain to downtown Zurich for the Rehearsal Dinner at Restaurant Orangerie Zurich. Before dinner began, Richard and I met the groom- Patrick- for the first time. As a Naval Academy grad, Patrick and his Navy buddies easily outnumbered my USAFA hubby, although that didn't stop him from saying "Sink Navy!" or "Go Air Force!" at any opportune moment.

By the end of the night, we felt like we had known this group of friends for years instead of hours!
Can you tell we were having fun?
Sadly, it took going to Switzerland to meet some great people we once unknowingly lived close to in Norfolk, Va. The best part of military life is having friends all over the world and that proves true once again!

My Groom plus the Bride & Groom! 
In true stereotypical fashion, it being the 4th of July and all, our group of loud and proud Americans {I mean they are military} decided to serenade the train passengers on our way up the mountain...

'Murica.

.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .

We woke up Saturday morning to fog. Lots of fog. As in zero visibility. My heart immediately started aching for Amanda as I thought about her waking up on her Wedding Day in Switzerland and being literally surrounded by clouds. More like in a cloud.


I started praying the Lord would clear it up so Patrick and Amanda could have a perfect wedding day and little by little God answered! So much so, the sunset that evening was one of the prettiest I've ever seen!


"Welcome back to the Navy" smack! Gotta love military arch traditions!
After the ceremony, the guests got to go on an hour-long bus tour of Zurich before we headed back to the hotel for the reception. If you're a cheese addict like me, you would have loved what we had for hors d'oeuvres... traditional Swiss cheese fondue! I was in heaven!

Gorgeous sunset, right??
We had so much fun celebrating such a fun couple and being able to be a part of their Big Day! The dancing  lasted until 1am even after the bride and groom left. When it's 2014 and you get to do the Macarena, Electric Slide, Wobble, Cotten-eyed Joe and other old-school dances- you know it's going to be a good time!
 
 
Patrick & Amanda, the way you look at each other speaks volumes about your love and admiration for the other. It was a pleasure to be a part of your wedding!

Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment