Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Royal Girls Weekend in London | Day One


London. A city which needs no introduction. It's hard to walk a block without stumbling upon some important building, monument, palace or museum. Rich with history and overflowing with charm, London in summertime could easily be one of the greatest cities in the world.

My trip to London began as an idea last fall after one of my best friends from growing up, Ali who currently lives in London, realized I live just across the English Channel in Germany. When Richard found out he had to go TDY to the States in June, a London girls weekend quickly developed from a good idea to reality.


Meet Ali! 

Middle School BFF/Londoner for five years/Went to that school in Georgia that barks (boooooo!)/Getting her PhD in British Architecture from Middlesex University/Engaged to an awesome British guy

We packed a TON into three and a half days and thanks to amazing weather, I have completely fallen in love with all London has to offer!

Day One

A very early Ryan Air flight from Frankfurt Hahn to London Stansted provided for a full first day to explore the capital city. Although London Stansted is actually about a two hour bus ride outside of London, I would recommend using the bus vs. the train/tube as it is not only WAY less expensive (£18 round trip instead of £33 each way), but it's also much less stressful if you're like me and manage to get lost using a GPS. 

After arriving at her new apartment "flat" {a lesson in British vocabulary}, I was introduced to the English way to start the day...
My first "real" cup of English tea in a royal wedding mug! So British, I know.
A quick tube ride later and we were walking along the Thames River soaking up the vitamin D and gorgeous views of London.
St. Paul's Cathedral - Shakespeare's Globe Theatre - Tower Bridge in the distance
Just around the corner was a fabulous market called Borough Market filled with various foods, flowers, fish, cheeses, meats and even some delicious sangria! I don't know if it was the fact that I was excited to speak English to the shop workers or if years of watching my Dad has finally rubbed off one me... I tried to barter with the cheese guy. Apparently, this is not appropriate, but don't you think £6 for a piece of cheese the size of my iPhone is a little ridiculous? That's almost $12. However, my embarrassment for my faux pas negotiation attempt left me £6 poorer.
After a quick burrito picnic overlooking the London Eye, we were off again toward Westminster Abbey/Big Ben/Parliament!
Sadly, we didn't make it inside Westminster Abbey, but I guess it's OK to leave a few things for our next London adventure. Side note, it is £18 for adult admission to the Abbey. Tourists like me who want to see where Kate and William and the other 15 royal weddings took place not to mention the site of every coronation since 1066 as well as dozens of kings and queens' tombs continue to pay whatever the fee.

As we made our way to Trafalgar Square, I noticed we were about to pass a street with a large gate and armored guards. After glancing up at the street sign labeled "Downing Street" I realized we had literally just stumbled upon the street where the British Prime Minister resides. 
"Number 10" as the Brits call it, is the dark brick building in the top right.
Only a block down the street was another lovely building called the Horse Guards Parade. We also got there just as the Changing of the Guard was taking place. In fact, I went up to the guard and asked if I could take a picture with him {assuming he would nod since they're not allowed to talk} instead he said no because they were changing the guard in a moment. He wasn't kidding! {And way to totally violate the no talking policy Mr. Guard} A moment later here they came... marching and then some!
Fun fact about Horse Guards Parade is that it hosted the 2012 Olympic volleyball matches!
Unfortunately, waking up at 3:30am meant crashing early, but I'd say it was a solid first day of our weekend! Stay tuned for our "Progressive Picnic" on day two of our Royal Girls Weekend! 

Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment